Thursday, October 8, 2015

Walking, Bus, Lecture, Art School, Fragments, Collecting

Thursday, October 8

I always set out every day to catch the tram but end up walking everywhere instead because the October sun here is as hot as the September sun in North Carolina and there is a breeze and searing light and an intensity to everything. Every day starts with breakfast at the World Friendship Center with rotating guests - couples from Europe, American journalists, Swiss physical therapists.....the conversations turn around nuclear issues, peace, capitalism, conflict, changing the world, travels, information, hope and connections. I reintroduce myself each morning because the guests change. Guests ask me how I am so positive and energetic doing such dark work. Little do they know. We all have facades, public attitudes and the face we show the world. Alone is another story. I hum when I walk. I am quiet most of the day, walking.....

I love this "fire escape" ladder in the Friendship Center courtyard between the maine house and the "villa" where I stay. Last night I felt like a college kid listening to Arcade Fire while I made collages...

 The cenotaph was designed by Kenzo Tange. From what I understand, Noguchi could not design it because he was half-American. Tange insisted that Noguchi be allowed to design a set of bridges and he did. Click here for more information.

 The A-Bomb Peace Dome stands in silent witness, as evidence, a reminder, a ruin in the center of town, visited by crowds all day long....
 A tree wrapped with rope near the Dome


 A-Bombed roof tiles that were shattetred and scattered around the sculpture yard at Hiroshima City University. I collected a bag full today with which to make photograms....
 The sculpture tech's raccoon made out of styrofoam and garbage bags. She got her PhD in visual art at the University. She has talent and style and is so nice. I hope she and I will travel to one of the art islands together....
 The wood, metal, stone, ceramic area is truly inspiring...
 The sculpture on the right has been left by a faculty member who made it. I want it - carved from one tree = one sculpture.....unfurling like music, a snake, intestines, fern
 I am very lucky to be here for when Chim Pom and Jason Waite come to speak about the amazing exhibition Don't Follow the Wind, a show in rthe exclusion zone in Fukushima.....I love Chim Pom's flag....


No comments: